Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Hello.... from the other side

Yes, that is a shameless Adele reference but I feel like this is an appropriate re-introduction of myself.

A little over a year ago I started writing for a little ole blog called "the Art of Education." It was an amazing experience writing for them. The idea behind the Art of Ed is to stay ridiculously relevant and that means new writers sharing new ideas. And so like they say, all good things must come to an end.

Being honest, I am a little sad about that part of my "career" being done but the good thing is I will have more time to get back to other stuff. This blog will get a little more attention (okay, a lot more attention). I might clean my art room. I will hopefully exercise a bit more.  I will read a book (or two).
This week I started class by asking students to share what they think the world would look like without art. I had some REALLY, REALLY insightful answers. Here is one of my favorites from one of my 6th graders:

Without art this room wouldn't exist. The blueprints for this building wouldn't exist. 
Bright colors would not survive. Creativity would wash out of existence. 
In small words - DULL!
Without art the subjects would be language arts, math, science and social studies. 
Drawing shapes is art, so math would be more boring than it already is.
Poetry is art with words so that gets rid of a whole unit from language arts.
History would change; beautiful, historical sights would be gone.
Life wouldn't be much without art. 

Wow - I don't think I could have said it any better! 



No comments:

Post a Comment