Thursday, February 19, 2015

Undercover teachers

Today I had to be gone for the afternoon.  We had Crisis Response Team Training at Central Office.

As of yesterday morning I still didn't have a sub.

By the end of the day I had a sub.  It wasn't one of the 3 I had requested but it was going to work.

This morning I was notified that my sub had called in sick.

At 10:45 my sub's sub came in my door...

oh my....

My heart sank.  How as this going to work?  My kids were going to eat her alive.  I had written out some good plans, created a PowerPoint slide show for the sub to work through and was really prepared but I doubted she could handle it.  She added to my fears when she said, "This seems really well put together.  We have about 45 minutes per class?  Well if all else fails, I will just tell stories."

Oh no!

At that moment I took a deep breath, counted to 10 and called in the "undercover teachers."  I pulled the 2 best students from each class and met with them.  I told them what the plan was, where to find stuff and gave them the task of "teaching the class" without "teaching the class."  They were excited and giggly.

I stopped back up after school (I didn't want to start my Friday off with a shock) and things looked o-k-a-y.  The printmaking blocks were in a messy pile and some of the liquid watercolors were looking a little "mixed" but that was all.  I can handle that.

I can't wait to check with my undercover teachers and see how it really went.

1 comment:

  1. I think we all have "undercover teachers." Rarely, do I ask for a sub...But when I do it's like my friend Forrest told me, you really don't ever know what you're going to get.

    ReplyDelete