Friday, May 2, 2014

May 2nd - Shine it up!

So we know that I Love, Love, Love my kiddo's making clay flowers but I have a little secret to share with you...
I also Love, Love, Love my varnish. 
This jug is my "not so top secret" secret. I apply it after the students have painted with tempera or watercolor and it makes the projects shine like glaze.  I ordered this jug 3 years ago and it is still going (but it is almost gone).  I only varnish those projects that are at or above expectations.  It really helps students work extra hard to meet their requirements.  

This stuff is super easy to use and clean up is a breeze (unless you let it dry... it is varnish and will dry hard when all is said and done).
Here is a clay flower after painting with watercolors.
Beautiful and delicate but kinda dull.
Here is my varnish station...
upside down water dishes a big watercolor brush (to really quickly get the varnish on)
 and a throw away cup sitting on newspaper
**I get my brush wet before painting as it makes clean up easier**
Here is the flower covered in varnish.
You don't even have to be neat about it, just make sure to cover everything.
Here is the flower dry and shiny.
It takes about 5 minutes to dry and 1 hour to "cure."
BEAUTIFUL, DELICATE and GLOWING!


1 comment:

  1. Yes! I love that stuff, too. And it's a bit cheaper than ModPodge. And it fascinates me that somehow it doesn't make the tempera paint smear.

    ReplyDelete